Hey guys! If you guys have been reading my blog lately, you will notice that I have this series for this week, where I am going to talk about my home land... PUERTO RICO!!!! why? because this week we celebrated its discovery by Christopher Columbus. Today as you might have guess from the tittle of this post, I am going to be sharing with you guys some facts and myths about this beautiful Island.
- The Arecibo Observatory is the largest radiotelescope in the world!
- El Yunque is the ONLY rain forest in the US National Forest System
- The Bioluminiscent Bay is something else! There are 5 in the world and PR has 3 of them!
- Some of the beaches have been rated the best in the world
- The San Juan Cathedral and San Jose Church are the two oldest churches in the Western Hemisphere
- La Fortaleza is the oldest (continuously working) executive mansion in the New World.
- El Morro and San Marcos Fortresses are the oldest in the US
- Old San Juan is a UNESCO site as well as various other places in PR
- Walmart Puerto Rico broke selling records of all Walmart stores
- ‘Plaza Las Americas’ mall in San Juan is the most profitable mall per square foot in the world and the largest mall in the entire Caribbean Basin.
- Puerto Rico is the country with the most cars per square mile in the world: 146 vehicles per street mile and 4,300 vehicles per square mile.
- The highest grossing Borders book store in US was located in Plaza Las Americas Mall. Too bad they closed.
- The busiest Toys “R” Us in the world is also in Plaza Las Americas
- The highest grossing Sears store in the World is in Puerto Rico.
- The highest selling Kmart in the US is in Puerto Rico.
- The largest JC Penney store in the world (a full 4 stories) is located at Plaza Las Americas mall
- Piña Colada was “born” in PR in 1954.
- Puerto Rico has won the Miss Universe pageant a record five times.
- The place in the world with more pharmaceutical companies per square mile is Puerto Rico.
- There are about 1,100 people per square mile, a ratio higher than within any of the 50 states in the United States.
- Puerto Rico is the third country in the world with more physicians in proportion to its population.
- The longest pool in the world is located in a hotel in Dorado, PR. (The hotel is currently closed).
- It is estimated that there is more Nickel in the mountains of Puerto Rico than the whole United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.
- The state of Florida was discovered by Puerto Rico’s first governor, Don Juan Ponce de Leon.
- The first shot fired by the United States in World War I was in Puerto Rico by Lt. Teofilo Marxuach.
- 86% of the rum consumed in the world is from Puerto Rico – Bacardi
- Puerto Rico has one of the world’s highest productivity ratios.
- Puerto Rico ranks 6th in the world when it comes to college graduates
- Puerto Rico has more gas stations, churches, cars, roads, and Walgreens per square mile than any other country in the world.
- The second radio station to be inaugurated in the US was in PR. Sally Jesse Raphael’s first gig in the media was in PR.
- The first Emmy went to Puerto Rican Jose Ferrer, who also got the Academy award for the same role.
- Rita Moreno (from PR) received both of those and one for Best Actress in a Broadway show. No one else has matched that.
- The most outstanding soldier in Europe at the end of the Second WW was chosen from the Puerto Rican 65th Infantry. (See BorinqueneersCongressional Gold Medal Alliance at http://www.65thcgm.org)
-Salsa is Puerto Rican.... FALSE!... it's actually from Cuba..... Bomba and Plena are the real Puerto Rican rhythms.
- There are puertorricans illegally residing in the US... FALSE!... Puerto Ricans are technically full citizens of the United States, we wven have the exact same passport as every other US Citizen.
Tryed to find more miths! but what I did find was more like misunderstandings!... Should I post about that?... You tell me!